Monday, December 12, 2011

A Christmas Tradition - My Grandma Betty's Fudge

I just feel like I should post this every year.  I hope you don't mind.  Since we lost my Grandma last year, this post just makes me happy.  Plus you have to try this recipe.  It will melt in your mouth.

*     *     *     *     *



Tonight I asked my Grandma to walk me through how to make her fudge.  It immediately brought back very good memories.  This is why I wanted to share the recipe with you.  Mind you my grandma RARELY measures anything, but she did actually have measurements for me tonight.  She wasn't sure about the amount of cocoa but it worked out fine.  I do realize this is my second week in a row with giving a Grandma Betty recipe, but I want to have them written down before she forgets what is in them.  The evening started with her playing with my son.

Then we started making the fudge.

Ingredients:
3 cups of sugar
1 cup of milk (we used whole milk)
1/3 cup of cocoa (we used 1/4th and thought it needed just a touch more)
1 stick of butter
1 t. vanilla
dash of salt
Directions:
Mix cocoa and sugar in saucepan, pour in milk.  Sprinkle the dash of salt.  Heat mixture until boiling then turn down to medium low.

Boil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Test fudge by dropping a few drops into a glass of water.  If it "balls" up then it is almost done.  You could also drop it in and then empty the water glass and touch the fudge and see if it is semi hard.  If it is, you are good to go.  Add the vanilla - it will bubble up.

Remove saucepan from heat and beat in the stick of butter.  My grandma says you have to beat it until it is solid and barely still pourable.  When you get to that point the fudge will be very thick and starting to harden.  I tried to take a better picture of this happening but my grandma was yelling at me to put the camera down and stir or the fudge wouldn't turn out.

Quickly pour this into a greased 8 x 8 pan and allow the fudge to cool completely.  Cut into pieces and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful, classy woman. I'll bet you grow up to be just like her! No wonder you miss her.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly